(0034) 93 415 71 59 / (0034) 93 415 80 54


Can a parent with a restraining order request the exclusive or shared custody of their children?


First of all, this article explains the current legal situation in this subject, this is not a personal opinion of the lawyer who is writing this.

We usually differentiate two concepts: violence against women and domestic violence.

We call domestic violence any type of physical or psychological violence against any person on the basis of sex or gender, which negatively affects their identity and social scope, physical and / or psychological integrity.

Domestic violence is a concept that is used to violence that is exercised in the family household or a similar coexistence, exerted by one member against another which involves the use of physical force, harassment, intimidation, etc. This violence can be exercised against children, women or against persons or elderly who are dependent within the home, which is not always exercised by whoever is stronger physically or economically.

The parent-child relationship between those parents convicted of mistreating their partners or ex-wives is a controversial and complex issue, there are many voices calling limit or suspend visitation of these parents with their children, but there are numerous statements that not only they do not limit or suspend visitation with the father sentenced to a restraining order, but set up exclusive stores in your favor or joint custody. Such statements are as follows:

  • Audiencia Provincial of Lleida Section: 2 Nº de Appeal: 367/2014 Resolution Number: 492/2014 Procedure: CIVIL Judge: ANA CRISTINA SAINZ PEREDA.

(Legal Grounds).- Art. 233-11.3 Catalan Civil Code provides that, in the interests of the children, can not be attributed to the parent with custody which has been given a final judgment for acts of family or macho that children have been or may be victims violence direct or indirect. Similarly adds the provision that, in the interests of the children, nor guardian can be attributed to the parent as long as substantiated evidence of having committed acts of domestic or macho that children have been or may be direct or indirect victims violence.

The judicial interpretation of this provision is oriented in the sense that what should prevail in any case is the interest of minors, so that the rule laid down in art. 233-11.3 is not mandatory nor automatic application with the necessary consequence that the award of custody to the father – either exclusively or in the form compartida- necessarily have to be excluded in cases in which there existed conviction or is pending a process of violence against women, it will be to the particular circumstances of each case …. In short, even considering that during the review proceedings has ruled condemning Mr. Leonardo as the author of a crime of threats in the family (united witness to the roll of appeal), the conclusion drawn by the judge instance as no detriment to the child is supported by the result offered the evidence taken.

(Legal Grounds) THREE …. concluding the judge instance after the joint assessment of the evidence that Mr. Leonardo is the most suitable parent to assume the exclusive custody of the child José Augusto, considering that is a personal family, work and stable and suitable for lower, offering a secure environment, as opposed to Ms. Almudena, which does not have a stable coexistence project and has no social or family support. Therefore, contrary to what is suggested by the appellant, it is not that the child does not become unprotected by the fact remain under maternal care, as it has been since birth and so is the other minor son Ms. Almudena, nor is claiming to be a bad mother, but it is to properly analyze the particular circumstances of the case and decide from depending on the particular interests of the child and what is most beneficial for the child, because once produced the breakdown of the couple must determine which of the two parents has a stronger parenting project. In the contested decision exposed and duly reason why it is predicable that the father more so than in the mother, always with reference to the best interests of the child, and weight of evidence that is available, not limited as the appellant says the family support available to the father and that she lacks, having analyzed and assessed all other circumstances arising of the evidence.

  • Juzgado de Violencia sobre la Mujer número 1 de Denia, Divorcio Contencioso 000022/2012, Setencia número 000024/2012.

(Legal basis) SEGÚN.- The doctrine of the Supreme Court … In this case, if it is true that … the father is not who is the subject of criminal proceedings but has been convicted of an offense involving domestic violence – , the Court considers that the tests that have been carried out, has not been established that there is an objective risk to the child or to advise the plaintiff that the exclusion of the attribution of joint custody regime of coexistence. According to the Court, it is not enough that a parent is the subject of criminal proceedings for domestic or gender violence to which he was deprived of the possibility of obtaining an individual or shared living with their children … regime. Otherwise, the parent punishment would lead to harm the children, who would be deprived of a standard with one parent no objective reason for this relationship.

Subsequently confirmed by judgment of the AP of Alicante, Section Four, Roll 185/13.

So the wing answer this question, the answer can not be other than affirmative since, as the Supreme Court established the assessment of “best interests of the child” should not be interpreted solely from the abstract point of view, but must addressed to the “real” interests resulting from the assessment of the facts from family circumstances of each case, when it undoubtedly beneficial for the child, with the protection of minors an essential pillar of the social and democratic rule of law, enshrined in Article 39.4 of the Spanish Constitution.

On the other hand, the Constitutional Court has established that on parental relationships subsidiaries to value criteria must have a proper judgment weighting, and all actions that affect the rights of children who may collide with other rights (the parents) the judge in the light of specific circumstances must necessarily be guided by the prevailing interests of the child, weighing with their parents, which although lower ranking, should not be neglected.

This interest of the child is configured as a guiding principle for action by public authorities, with a vague legal concept difficult to implement, forcing integrate in each specific case, taking into account the circumstances of each case.

Applying whole doctrine referred to cases of gender violence or domestic violence in which juveniles, it is clear that the interests of the child is prevalent to any other interest of parents in conflict and in particular, the abusive parent.

Sara Benjelali González.

Lawyer attached to the Ecclesiastical Tribunal of the Archdiocese of Barcelona.

Family lawyer (specialized in international child abduction).

Family and school mediator.

Etiquetas: , , , ,

18 Comentarios

  1. Alba
    Thursday August 31st, 2017

    Sólo quería saber algo .. me denunció mi marido y no pidio régimen de visita y tenemos .orden de alejamiento el pudo contar mi … a raíz de eso yo metí la demanda de divorcio . Que puedo hacer

    • Sara Benjelali
      Tuesday October 24th, 2017

      Alba, deberias hablar con el abogado que te lleva el tema, ya que el conoce de primera mano, tus circunstancias.

      Un saludo

      Sara Benjelali

  2. Alba
    Thursday August 31st, 2017

    Mi hijo sólo habla con el pero no le ve no confío en el porq me cagó … el dijo q retiraría la denuncia no lo ISO .pero el me obligó a q firmé el divorcio pero el puso las reglas .. y yo noacepté

    • Sara Benjelali
      Wednesday October 25th, 2017


      Sinceramente, no entiendo su consulta.

      Un saludo

      Sara Benjelali

  3. walter tulian
    Saturday October 19th, 2019

    hola tengo una restriccion que se vence el dia dos de noviembre….dentro de dos semanas…mi esposa ha manifestado a intermediario que quiere divorciarse,,, y que los hijos mientras pase todo este tiempo siempre me ha dicho que no puedo llamarlos a la casa a los chicos? esto es asi?…no tengo ninguna acusacion de maltrato fisico solo que las discuciones entre ambos ya la han agotado ha manifestado ella

    • Sara Benjelali
      Thursday April 30th, 2020

      Buenos días Walter,

      La orden de alejamiento, salvo que la misma indique otra cosa, es hacia la esposa, no hacia los hijos. Con tus hijos podrás tener comunicación vía Skype o por teléfono si éstos disponen de uno. En cuanto al divorcio, si resides en España y han transcurrido 3 meses desde la celebración del matrimonio, puede solicitarlo y se lo concederán. Te aconsejo consultes con un abogado/a.


  4. Ester
    Wednesday May 27th, 2020

    Hola le denuncie a mi marido por violencia de género tenemos una orden de alejamiento,el divorcio aún no ha salido y ahora me dijo mi hijo de 15 años que se ir a vivir con su padre es posible eso

    • Sara Benjelali
      Friday January 15th, 2021

      Hola Esther,

      La orden de protección es hacia ti, ello no incluye a tu hijo, salvo que la orden diga otra cosa. Con esa edad es difícil convencer a un menor que haga algo que no quiere, pues posiblemente se escapará de casa para estar con su padre.

      No puedo darte un asesoramiento preciso porque desconozco los pormenores de tu situación, pero habla con tu abogado/a que seguro te resolverá esta duda.


  5. Alex
    Friday September 4th, 2020

    Buenas.. tengo una orden de alejamiento por una amenaza que le hize a mi mujer por tlf yo jamás la he tocado ni la tocaré jamás pero quisiera saber si puedo pedir la custodia de mi hijo o almenos compartida.. un saludo Sara

    • Sara Benjelali
      Friday October 23rd, 2020

      Hola Alex,

      Tienes una orden de alejamiento hacia la madre, el artículo 92.7 del Código Civil dice: No procederá la guarda conjunta cuando cualquiera de los padres esté incurso en un proceso penal iniciado por atentar contra la vida, la integridad física, la libertad, la integridad moral o la libertad e indemnidad sexual del otro cónyuge o de los hijos que convivan con ambos. Tampoco procederá cuando el Juez advierta, de las alegaciones de las partes y las pruebas practicadas, la existencia de indicios fundados de violencia doméstica…

      Creo que con ello queda respondida tu pregunta.

      Un saludo

  6. Adrian
    Friday September 18th, 2020

    Mi mujer me denunció por violencia de genero injustamente ya que para estar con su amante me quitó de en.medio y tengo orden de alejamiento contra ella y me e enterado hace poco que ella dejó el piso que yo estoy pagando de alquiler junto con los recibos de luz y agua y se a llevado a mi hijo con su amante y desde.el.7 de marzo de este año no se nada de el..
    Cuando mi abogado dijo q podría ver a mi hijo sin problemas esto es delito por parte de ella?

    • Sara Benjelali
      Friday October 23rd, 2020

      Hola de nuevo Adrián,

      Te he respondido en el correo anterior. Una cosa es que tú tengas una orden de alejamiento hacia la madre, otra es que la sentencia que regula el domicilio y centro escolar del menor deba cumplirse en tu integridad. Deberías instar la jurisdicción voluntaria por ejercicio inadecuado de la patria potestad e incluso una ejecución de sentencia por incumplimiento del régimen de visitas.

      Un saludo

  7. Adrian
    Friday September 18th, 2020

    Otra pregunta es … el amante de.mi.mujer es.de zaragoza podria ser que ella estuviera allí eso seria sustracción de menores? Y otra es que mi.hijo esta inscrito en la escuela de la.ciudad donde vivo pero el 14 que tenía que empezar no lo.hizo es denunciable? Gracias..

    • Sara Benjelali
      Friday October 23rd, 2020

      Hola Adrián,

      Que tu ex mujer esté en Zaragoza es cosa de ella, cuestión distinta es que el menor haya sido trasladado de domicilio sin tu consentimiento y no acuda al centro escolar (absentismo escolar), en este caso, de ser así, deberías iniciar un procedimiento de jurisdicción voluntaria por inadecuado ejercicio de la patria potestad.

      Cualquier consulta quedo a tu disposición.
      Un saludo

  8. Raúl
    Saturday November 21st, 2020

    Hola buenos días mi mujer me dunicio por violencia de género tengo un niño de 16 y me pusieron un orde de alejamiento a 200 metro yo podía ver a mi hijo por fuera de colegio esta más de 200 metro la orde la tengo con mi mujer

    • Sara Benjelali
      Friday January 15th, 2021

      Raúl, salvo que la orden de protección diga otra cosa, ésta es hacia tu mujer por lo que, puedes ver a tu hijo, que con 16 años bien podéis quedar en un parque o algún otro lugar que respete la orden de protección en relación a la vivienda de tu mujer, su trabajo, etc.


  9. Maria
    Wednesday March 17th, 2021

    Buenas tardes, tengo una duda, el progenitor de mis hijas tiene una orden de alejamiento y esta en proceso de juicio por violencia, esto lleva años ya, tengo otra pareja con la que hemos formado un hogar y pronto tendremos un hijo en común, dado que es una cesarea y existe riesgo por ser la cuarta queria saber que pasara con mis hijas en caso me suceda algo a mi. Yo tengo la guardia y custodia de las 3 niñas y desde la denuncia el progenitor jamas se ha preocupado por ellas ni ha tenido contacto ninguno.

    • Sara Benjelali
      Thursday April 15th, 2021

      Hola María,

      En un inicio si te pasara algo, el padre sigue teniendo la patria potestad y tendría la custodia. Cuestión distinta es que algún familiar, abuelos maternos o tíos por ejemplo, discutieran esa guarda en un tribunal y la solicitaran ellos.

      Un abrazo y felicidades

Leave a Reply to walter tulian Cancel reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.